Whether your child or loved one has been diagnosed with peroxisomal biogenesis disorder-Zellweger spectrum disorder (PBD-ZSD), you may be faced with different challenges along his or her journey. Having the right resources and support can make a difference in knowing how to handle new situations if they arise.
Educational resources for PBD-ZSD
PBD-ZSD: What You Need to Know
Dive into this webinar about PBD-ZSD including symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, and management of the disorder.
Dr. James Heubi
Formerly, Pediatric Gastroenterologist at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital.
PBD-ZSD: A Caregiver’s Story
Listen to these caregivers share their experience about raising a son with PBD-ZSD.
Connect with helpful organizations
There are many organizations dedicated to helping people
manage PBD-ZSD and learn more about the disorder.
Learn about PBD-ZSD from the National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD)—an organization dedicated to identifying, treating, and curing rare disorders through education, advocacy, research, and service.Learn More
Participate in research studies through the Childhood Liver Disease Research Network (ChiLDReN)—a collaborative team of doctors, nurses, research coordinators, medical facilities, and patient support organizations dedicated to learning more about rare liver diseases.Learn More
Mirum Pharmaceuticals is not affiliated with the resources listed above.
WHAT IS CHOLBAM® (cholic acid) capsules?
CHOLBAM is a prescription medicine. It is a bile acid used for
- Treatment of bile acid synthesis disorders (malfunction in the production of bile acid in the liver) due to a lack of a single enzyme responsible for bile acid production.
- Treatment (in addition to other treatments) of peroxisomal disorders (a loss of function in important parts of the cell), including Zellweger spectrum disorders, in patients who show signs or symptoms of liver disease, pale stools due to too much fat, or problems resulting from not absorbing certain vitamins (A, D, E, K).
The safety and effectiveness of CHOLBAM on symptoms outside of the liver have not been studied.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
CHOLBAM may not be right for you. Before taking CHOLBAM, tell your doctor about:
- All health conditions you may have and any medications you may be taking.
- If you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
- If you are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed.
What are the possible side effects of CHOLBAM?
- Serious Side Effects: You will need to undergo laboratory testing periodically while on treatment to assess liver function. CHOLBAM may worsen liver function. Tell your doctor right away if you experience symptoms associated with worsening of liver function (e.g., skin or the whites of eyes turn yellow, urine turns dark or brown [tea colored], pain on the right side of stomach, bleeding or bruising occurs more easily than normal, or increased lethargy). Your doctor will decide if you need to discontinue treatment with CHOLBAM.
- Most Common Side Effects: Diarrhea, acid reflux that damages the lining of the esophagus, discomfort and fatigue, yellowing of skin or eyes, skin lesion, nausea, abdominal pain, formation of growths in the intestinal tract, urinary tract infection, nerve damage causing change in sensation in extremities.
These are not all the possible side effects of CHOLBAM. Tell your doctor if you have any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away.
You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or www.fda.gov/medwatch. You may also report side effects to Mirum Pharmaceuticals at 1-855-MRM-4YOU.
Please see accompanying full Prescribing Information for additional Important Safety Information.